i. Stopping large groups of people coming together
ii. Closing buildings
iii. Canceling events.
During a Pandemic:
I. Closing all public and private K-12 schools and facilities, as well as all childcare centers
II. Canceling all indoor and outdoor events that get large crowds.
a. Sports events, concerts, parades and festivals.
III. Closing community centers, malls and theaters,
IV. Postponing services at all places of worship.
I. Public and private colleges delaying classes, going to web-based learning, canceling all large campus meetings and gatherings.
II. Public and private libraries changing their operations and stopping people from gathering by only letting people come in to pick up books that have been reserved or requested on-line or by telephone
III. Businesses changing company practices, setting up flexible shift plans, having employees telecommute, and canceling any large meetings or conferences
Other Actions that should be taken to Limit Spread of Disease
I. Isolation and quarantine.
II. Limiting the travel of those who have been exposed to a contagious disease
III. Stopping people coming or going into a specific area.
a. States have the power to put into force quarantines within their borders.
What can you do?
1. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
2. If you get sick, stay home and away from others as much as possible.
3. Do not go to work sick and do not send sick children to school or day care.
4. Practicing good hygiene habits such as washing your hands and covering your cough will help stop or slow the spread of many diseases.
5. Follow any social distancing instructions, or any other instructions or orders given by health officials.
6. Stay informed and plan ahead!
Source: Public Health Department Santa Clara Valley Health and Hospital System